EML to Outlook Converter is a compact, laser-focused tool that dramatically simplified the conversion of email messages in the EML format to Outlook and Outlook’s PST files. Designed and developed to be used by the broadest audience possible, this program has a minimum of control elements and conversion options and generally does not require any technical skills or relevant experience.
The product has a simple single-window interface with several distinct areas, buttons and a main menu. The central area is dominated by a large list box containing the names of email files that the program manages to find in the specified folder. Above this area is a field containing the path to the source location and a button that opens the standard folder selection dialog. To the right of this button is the “Find Storages” button that populates the list below and the most important button in the entire interface – the data saving button. Finally, there is a relatively small log area at the bottom of the program window.
The process of email conversion is described in detail below.
Step 0. Preparing the data for conversion
The first thing you need to do even before starting EML to Outlook Converter is to prepare your data. The EML message format is supported by the majority of email clients, and messages can be exported in a number of ways: from manual extraction of individual messages using drag’n’drop to mass email export via integrated or third-party tools. In this manual, we will not look at these methods in great detail and assume that your emails have already been extracted from the source application or arсhive to a folder on your hard drive (or network location).
If your files were initially exported on a Mac or Linux machine, don’t worry – EML to Outlook Converter has built-in encoding conversion tools that ensure full readability of converted emails on the destination system.
Step 1. Program installation
We guarantee that the program’s installation package does not contain any ad-ware or spy-ware. Please make sure that you download EML to Outlook Converter from the official website, not a software archive or an unknown third-party site. Once the download has finished, start the installation file. Note that if you have UAC (User Access Control) enabled, you will see a warning message prompting you to either allow the program to run or cancel its further execution. Answer affirmatively to continue with the program installation. By default, EML to Outlook Converter creates a program group in the Start menu and two shortcuts (for 32-bit and 64-bit versions) on your desktop.
Step 2. Selection of the source files
Once you have prepared your data, you can proceed to its conversion:
- Start EML to Outlook Converter by clicking its icon in a corresponding folder of the Start menu or a shortcut on your Desktop. Depending on your Outlook version, use either the 32-bit or 64-bit version of the program for better performance. (* – Windows OS version is not affected by this rule)
- Click the button with three dots (ellipsis) located to the right of the source folder field. This will open the standard folder selection dialog. Browse to the necessary folder on your hard drive or network computer and confirm your selection by clicking OK. The path to the selected folder will be displayed in the source location field to the left of the button.
- Use the “Find Storages” button to locate all email files in the specified location. Their names will be displayed in the list below
- Files on the list can be selected using checkboxes to the left of file names. You may select, deselect and reverse the selection using the pop-up menu via the right click to the EML files list.
Step 3. Configuring the conversion options
Prior to starting the email conversion process, you may want to configure the conversion options. They can be found in the “Options” section of the main menu of the program:
- Check that email client is running – if this option is on, it checks if Microsoft Outlook is running on your computer and if it is, asks you to close it to prevent potential data access conflicts that may make further data conversion impossible.
- Remind to disable antivirus – if this option is enabled and there is an anti-virus tool running on your system, EML to Outlook Converter will ask you to close it or disable the active protection mode, since it may interfere with the conversion process.
- Use internal format processor – when enabled, the option will instruct the program to use its own data file parser that often works better than the standard one.
- Correct Email Encoding (Mac/Unix to Win) – when selected, this option makes sure that email files copied from a Mac or Unix system are properly pre-processed and their content remains fully readable on the destination PC.
- Prompt to select the Outlook profile – enable this option if you want to be able to select the Outlook profile where your files will be saved. * – only for Outlook importing mode.
- Target Outlook folder [Prompt to select the Outlook folder; Inbox] – the default destination folder for converted messages. You can specify it manually every time the files are converted or simply set it to “Inbox” for all future conversions.
You can also choose between two conversion modes that are selected in the “Mode” section of the main menu:
- Import to Outlook – your data are saved directly to an Outlook profile
- Save to PST file – your data are saved to a separate PST file on your hard drive
Depending on the choice of the conversion mode, the caption on the conversion button will change to reflect your choice.
Step 4. Converting the data
If you have already selected the files to be converted and configured the conversion options, you can proceed to saving your data to the selected location. Let’s assume that you are exporting emails directly to Outlook. Here’s what you need to do:
- Click the “Import” button. If the corresponding option is on, the program will prompt you to temporarily disable your anti-virus tool. Disable the anti-virus software and click OK in EML to Outlook Converter to continue. You may also occasionally see an Office configuration selection window at this time. Leave everything “as is” and click OK.
- The program will open an Outlook folder selection dialog. Select an existing folder or create a new one using a corresponding dialog button, then click OK to start exporting your data.
- The program will start saving your emails to the selected folder. The conversion results will be displayed in the log window at the bottom of the program window.
In case you selected the “Save to PST file” option, you will have to go through the same procedure, save for the destination folder selection step. Instead, you will need to specify the name and location of the resulting file. The rest of your actions will remain the same.
This is the end of the EML to Outlook Converter user’s manual. As you can see, the program is as simple and straightforward as possible, and should not pose any difficulties even for the most inexperienced users. However, if you have any problems or questions, please do not hesitate to contact our support service.
Thank you for using our product!